Going to New Heights with Andrew King
Run Local Wednesday 2021 Week #7
Today on Run Local Wednesday we help you relieve your muscles with 5 minutes of foam rolling with our friends at California Elite Fitness and share our favorite recent stories from the running world (and sometimes not)👇
📺 But, first, we step out of our running comfort zone and get inspired by Andrew Alexander King who joined us on @RunLocalEvents IGTV to chat about his personal journey, quest to become the first African American to climb the highest mountain and volcano on each continent as well as his latest project, The Between Worlds Project.
Andrew discusses helping individuals wherever he travels to break through their personal glass ceilings regardless of race, gender, or religion, the power of running in his life as well as the discipline it provides him and celebrating black excellence every day.
📣 Share with us your #RunLocalWednesday running route, post-run coffee shop, restaurant, or other local favorites on social for a chance to be featured in an upcoming newsletter and win Run Local gear.
☘️ Join us for the San José Shamrock Run from March 12–21 benefiting the San José – Dublin Sister Cities Program!
Take Care of Your Body: The Benefits of Foam Rolling
Consistent strength training and aerobic training are important to living a healthy and vibrant life, but we have to do more than train to remain fit. Rest and consistent body maintenance, even pampering, is important to allow the body to heal and recover after training sessions.
One of the best, convenient, and most cost-effective methods to maintain healthy muscles is foam rolling. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage for your muscles and the fascia. It helps circulate fresh, oxygenated blood to the muscles and fascia allowing them to heal and rebuild at a faster and more efficient rate.
Foam Rolling offers the following benefits:
- Helps to prevent injury and speeds recovery between workouts
- Breaks down scar tissue, improving muscle function
- Decreases muscle spasms and tightness
- Improves mobility and flexibility
- Increases joint range of motion
- Removes lactic acid that builds up in muscles after a workout, speeding up recovery time
- Improves physical performance
Make it a habit to take care of your body between workouts! Stay tuned as we’re going to be launching our YouTube Channel this week with a Foam Rolling video by our very own Coach Lori!
For more information please visit us at the following:
☕️ Stories to Enjoy
Some of our favorite recent inspiring and at times off the beaten path stories about running (and sometimes not)…
- A hawk grabbed my head while I was running and now I’m scared to go back out there, /running subreddit
- For Better Health During the Pandemic, Is Two Hours Outdoors the New 10,000 Steps?, Wall St. Journal
- Weary of COVID restrictions, Finns take up running in deep snow in socks, Reuters
- Roaring Kitty Wanted to Break a 4-Minute Mile. He Broke Wall Street Instead, Wall St. Journal
- 800m, 1000m and 2-Mile American Records go Down, Track & Field News
- 5000m Women’s Road Record Broken, World Athletics